Call for Papers
University of Exeter: ‘Experience through metaphor: cultural histories of emotion and the body’
This online one-day symposium on Friday 18th March 2022 seeks to explore the cultural responses and metaphors of the relationships between bodies and emotions in the ancient world, and the theoretical approaches which we as scholars can use to understand these issues.
Our keynote will be given by Dr Chiara Blanco, University of Edinburgh, title TBC.
We are looking for abstracts for the following two areas:
- Theoretical approaches workshop: 15-minute explanations of various approaches to emotion and the body that will be followed by a wider discussion.
- Theoretical approaches in action: 20-minute paper panels which discuss theoretical approaches in action on body/emotion/metaphor.
Abstracts should be no more than 300 words and should be sent as a PDF file to the following email address: [email protected]. Please make sure to include the following personal information in the document: name, 150-word biography, institution (if applicable), email address and which session your abstract is for.
The deadline for submission is Friday 12th November 2021. Final decisions, and details about the registration process, will be communicated by the end of November 2021.
We encourage a diverse range of applications and are look forward to receiving your abstracts.
Draft Schedule (subject to change)
- Welcome and formalities.
- Short opening address: the purpose is to enthuse participants in advance of the workshop and raise themes that will run throughout the day. Speaker TBC.
- Workshop session(s): 15-minute papers and discussion.
- Theoretical approaches session(s): 20-minute papers followed by questions.
- Reflective session: an interactive discussion of ideas arising at the symposium.
- Keynote by Dr Chiara Blanco, title TBC.
- Closing remarks.
For the most up-to-date announcements regarding the conference please follow our twitter @emotionbodyconf
If you have any questions, please do email us at [email protected]